Sunday, January 31, 2010

Lighter Things and Memories

My serious side has been out way too much lately - what with employment decisions, thoughts of where to live long-term, MBA?, church and family, etc. Damn.

I told Jenn today that it doesn't matter where we are in life; I am happy as long as I am with her. She is a prize beyond anything I could ever hope for. She makes life worth it.

Do you ever just have random memories pop into your head while about your day to day activities? I do. All the time. I should write them down throughout the day because who knows when my mind will decide to bring them to my attention again. I don't control that.

Tonight we are making a lentil soup to pack in our lunches. When I think of lentils I think of the first time I had them (remember it at least). While on my mission there was a lady who wanted a blessing (prayer) said in her behalf by some missionaries - but there were none nearby. They called myself and Esteban Diaz to go visit her and pray for her. She was sick and lonely. After we left it was too late to go to our apartment so a local family offered to let us stay at their house. As the mother was from France - she made us a French version of lentil soup with slices of hot dog in it. After the late meal it was time for bed. We slept in the room of their young son. It had train tracks running around it with other wood-carved toys. Being the Christ-like missionary Esteban was he insisted on sleeping on the floor since it was "more comfortable." I got the bed. We woke to another North Carolina morning.

In my last area of my mission I was training a new missionary - Hiroshi. One day we were riding through a forest area with a lot of trailers. I was up ahead of him when I heard a "thud." He had been clothes-lined - literally - and you could see the rope mark under his nose. I apologized profusely because upon seeing that he would be okay - I could not stop laughing. A great story this will make - I told him. Especially at our big meeting tomorrow in Raleigh. Week one complete.

This was not as bad as what happened to the next two missionaries in that area. One was struck down by lightning right on a doorstep - about to preach the good word. A prayer and a life flight later - he was okay. A fate not known by the two missionaries in Romania who suffocated from a gas leak in their apartment last week.

Back when I was little boy, my brothers and I would play basketball in the hallway upstairs. We had a little plastic ball and a little plastic hoop. We jumped around and yelled...and even had a shouting match here and there...until mom would tell us that we had played long enough and took the hoop down.

Maybe I will jot down a few more stories that pop into my head while I am auditing Domino's this week. I just might try that new pizza recipe they are bragging about - but then again maybe not. That lentil soup smells promising.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Aaron! Man it must be like wife like husband because your blogging is awesome too!

You're right about things being funny when they shouldn't be.

Oh, and I liked how you went full circle on your lentil soup. Awesome.

And thanks for reading my blog. It's been just over a month and I've earned $21.57. Funny huh?! Maybe I can increase my readership somehow and start making a killing. Ha ha.

Janessa said...

I do have random memories come to mind every now and then. The first time I tried lentil soup was at Gloria's actually. Ya it is a good idea to write them down, because like you said, you never know if you'll remember it again. Well, I miss you!

Dave said...

You're getting old.....

Great lyrics from a great song... remind me of your reminiscing...

Friday night, it was late
I was walking you home
We got down to the gate
And I was dreaming of the night
Would it turn out right
How to tell you girl
I wanna build my world around you
Tell you that it's true
I wanna make you understand
I'm talkin' about a lifetime plan

That's the way it began, we were hand in hand
Glenn Miller's Band was better than before
We yelled and screamed for more
And the Porter tunes "Night and Day"
Made us dance across the room
It ended all too soon
And on the way back home
I promised you'd never be alone

Hurry, don't be late
I can hardly wait
I said to myself when we're old
We'll go dancing in the dark
Walking through the park and reminiscing

[Instrumental Interlude]

Friday night, it was late
I was walking you home
We got down to the gate
And I was dreaming of the night
Would it turn out right
Now as the years roll on
Each time we hear our favorite song
The memories come along
Older times we're missing
Spending the hours reminiscing

Hurry, don't be late, I can hardly wait
I said to myself when we're old
We'll go dancing in the dark
Walking through the park and reminiscing

Anonymous said...

That little hoop was awesome. I remember lining up and we'd each run to the hoop and pass to the guy behind and the last guy would finish with a HAMMER DUNK!