Sunday, March 1, 2009

Life is a Short Trip

It seems like just the other day I saw my dad getting exciting while watching a Jazz playoff game on a tiny, poor-reception tv. At nine, I was intrigued, so my dad taught me basketball. I quickly became obsessed with the Jazz and my new idol John Stockton. Stockton was a little white guy that was tough as nails. He was a pure competitor who gave it his all every night, no matter how tall the order. He made everyone one on his team better and was loyal to his team.

His partner Karl Malone has the 2nd most points in NBA history and was also a main part of the Jazz. The Jazz served as my main source of entertainement of my youth from ages 9-19. The games were my escape from everything else.
Last Saturday Jenn and I had the opportunity to pay respects to the man that made it all possible. Larry Miller risked everything he had to have the Jazz in Utah. He did it because he loved Utah and he wanted the Jazz to be a positive influence for people of the community. That dream was accomplished in my life and then some for 10-plus years.

So, from a little tv at age 9, to center court of the (former) Delta Center last Saturday, was a gathering that put into perspective how there are people I don't personally know, or cannot personally thank, that indirectly influence my life.

The funeral brought many other people together that have indirectly influenced my life, so it was kind of fun to see so many people together. In attendance was the Governor of Utah, Sen. Orrin Hatch, Pres. Monson, Jerry Sloan. My favorite scene was watching Karl Malone wipe his eyes while Satan (from the temple endowment movie) played "How Great Thou Art," on the piano.


It was a unique event, and I was glad we could pay tribute to someone who has done a lot for me, even though he doesn't even know it.

4 comments:

jenn said...

I am glad i could share in that with you-- and that it could all come full circle. a very neat thing. too bad michael ballam isn't on itunes...

Dave said...

I too am glad that you thought to set this up so your old Pa could share in the moment. My basketball days go back to cheering on the old Utah Stars in the ABA. I would listen to their games on a transister radio while shooting shots on my driveway, trying to be like my Stars, Zelmo Beatty and Willie Wise.

Later, as an adult, I took to the Jazz and passed on some of my passion for basketball to my sons.

You're right about John Stockton. What an example of hard work and team play. And Larry Miller. People who dream out loud can do great things (His son's quote at the funeral).

Thanks for reminding us of how important the littel things are.

Just remember that coming full circle can happen again and again.

Like the song...

The sun comes up and seasons change and through it all, love remains.. Colin Raye

Love for basketball. Love for family. Love for life. We need hobbies, relationships and heroes to spur us on to new heights.

Unknown said...

That's pretty cool that you went. Lance was looking at picture of the funeral online...and mentioned it was open to the public. That is so crazy. Oh my gosh, I laughed so hard at the devil part and that picture. I always wondered about those people and if they are still alive today.....haha

Anonymous said...

That dude looks devilish.